EXPLO Pre-College | Wellesley College Business
From idea generation to market research, study problems facing a real business as a consultant, then pitch your creative solutions to a panel of executives.
About this Concentration
Putting a winning idea into action, creating a business plan, and building and leading a successful team is complex and challenging work. It requires leaders who can think analytically, learn quickly, and innovate boldly. They need to be able to work across disciplines - finance, marketing, accounting, human resources - and connect the right people and ideas in order to solve the most pressing problems and move forward.
In this Concentration, begin to think like these leaders while building effective leadership strategies, frameworks for strategy and scaling, and models for developing and testing new ideas used by many of the best business leaders from a wide variety of industries. Connect with people who have secured investors, launched businesses, and scaled companies. Learn from their successes and (more importantly) from their missteps. For the culminating project, you and a small team will consult with a real business or startup on a problem they currently face. Then, you’ll prepare an evidence-backed business solution and present it to the business.
College credit option pending for this career concentration.
- Case Interview training with Marc Cosentino — McKinsey + Company says “Cosentino is the Dean of Case Interviews.” Cosentino’s coaching can prepare you to nail business case interviews, a prerequisite for many competitive internships and jobs in the industry. Cosentino also explains how you can start a case competition team at your high school and join a case competition network.
- Harvard Business School Case Studies — HBR case studies are at the heart of M.B.A. study. Deep practice with the case method drives critical thinking and complex problem solving. You will dig into cases running from business management and entrepreneurship to leadership and organizational behavior to innovation and global supply chains.
- Professional Networking — Practice making connections, finding collaborators, and vetting new ideas with business owners, consultants, and academics from a variety of industries.
- Harvard Business School Visit and Admissions — Tour Harvard University and Harvard Business School, and hear from business students about their experiences and educational pathways.
- Session 2: July 16 - August 4
EXPLO Pre-College students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact our Admissions Team at 781.762.7400 for more information on rentals.