EXPLO Pre-College + Career | Colby College Engineering
Iterate, design, prototype, and test; engage in engineering challenges such as making a self-driving car and an operational fuel cell in order to get hands-on experience with the engineering process and the many sub-disciplines of the profession.
About this Concentration
From fusion power to nanotechnology to artificial intelligence, the potential solutions to many of the world’s most urgent problems lay at our fingertips. Engineers are at the front lines of developing and applying these technologies in the areas of maximum impact, such as climate change and medicine. They’re critical thinkers, problem solvers, and creatives; in this concentration, you’ll be challenged to think along the same lines. Investigate a problem, understand end user requirements, design a solution, create and test a prototype, collect data to measure effectiveness, and optimize for efficiency. You’ll also need to work across disciplines, from robotics and mechanical engineering to software and civil engineering. Many different industries rely on engineers for creative solutions and this concentration will help you understand the key differences between the various fields.
College credit available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
- Self-Driving Car
Make an AI-enabled self-driving car prototype that uses deep learning to navigate real-world conditions such as avoiding obstacles, obeying traffic signals, or yielding to pedestrians.
- Fuel Cell
Create a Fuel Cell capable of cleanly converting hydrogen to usable electric energy.
- Computer Coding
Write and modify computer code using hardware such as a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.
Design and build functional electronics using breadboards, servo motors, LED displays, and other electronics hardware. (Includes soldering, breadboarding, using a multimeter.)
- Iterative Design
Integrate feedback from professional engineers in order to hone project prototypes to better meet project challenge requirements.
- World-Class Experts
Connect with leading engineers doing cutting-edge work in robotics, structural engineering, environmental engineering, biomedical engineering, computer software design, data analytics, and more.
- Session 1: June 27 - July 9, 2021
- Session 2: July 11 - July 23, 2021
- Session 3: July 25 - August 6, 2021
- EXPLO Pre-College + Career students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact the Admission Team for more information.
- EXPLO Engineering relies on a basic understanding of the programming language Python. For students unfamiliar with it, we strongly recommend Codecademy’s Python 3 course (the first 7-10 hours; functions, control flow, lists, and loops) or the book Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes.