EXPLO Pre-College + Career | Wellesley College Engineering
Iterate, design, prototype, and test. Engage with the many sub-disciplines of the profession, from mechanical engineering, to circuit design, through hands-on projects, such as designing and building a biologically inspired robot.
About this Concentration
Engineers are critical thinkers, problem solvers, and creatives who harness cutting-edge technology to develop solutions to many of the world's most urgent problems. From fusion power to nanotechnology to artificial intelligence, engineers are on the front lines of developing and applying these technologies in the areas of maximum impact, such as climate change and medicine.
In EXPLO Engineering, challenge yourself to think along the same lines. Investigate a problem, understand end-user requirements, design a solution, create and test a prototype, collect data to measure effectiveness, and optimize for efficiency. Work side-by-side with the experts across disciplines — from robotics and mechanical engineering to software and civil engineering. Here, you can deepen your understanding of the key differences between the various fields engineers can pursue.
College credit is available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
- Biologically Inspired Robot — Design and build a biologically inspired robot that uses deep learning to navigate real-world environments such as avoiding obstacles, and responding to visual and auditory cues.
- Fuel Cell — Create a Fuel Cell capable of cleanly converting hydrogen to usable electric energy.
- Computer Coding — Write and modify computer code using hardware such as a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.
- Electronics — Design and build functional electronics using breadboards, servo motors, LED displays, and other electronics hardware. (Includes soldering, breadboarding, and using a multimeter.)
- Iterative Design — Integrate feedback from professional engineers in order to hone project prototypes to better meet project challenge requirements.
- Session 1: June 26 – July 8, 2022
- Session 3: July 24 – August 5, 2022
- EXPLO Pre-College + Career students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact our Admissions Team at 781.762.7400 for more information on rentals.
- Prerequisites: We recommend that students in this course who have no prior experience with text-based coding take this free, self-paced course that starts with the block-based coding language Scratch, then introduces students to text-based coding with CS50: Introduction to Computer Science. Students are only asked to complete weeks 0-3.