EXPLO Pre-College + Career | Wellesley College Global Health + Medicine
Prepare to be challenged to contend with the real-world conditions — environmental, political, ethical, and economic — that shape medical policy and its effectiveness at improving the health and well-being of the global population.
About this Concentration
New in 2022: The COVID-19 pandemic — and its consequences — have irrevocably changed the current and future landscape of public health across the globe. The pandemic brought disparities and signs of underinvestment in fundamental structures for health delivery worldwide to light. This Concentration is both an exploration of the current state of the field of public health and a challenge to future medical practitioners to innovate and improve outcomes for the benefit of the global community. While theories of public health often find their roots in medical and scientific knowledge, practitioners must also be versed in the sociological factors that influence its delivery.
In EXPLO Global Health + Medicine, prepare to be challenged to contend with the real-world conditions — environmental, political, and economic — that shape medical policy and its effectiveness at improving the health conditions of the global population. This Concentration prompts you to envision a more equitable world where one’s location and demographics do not as directly predict their medical outcomes and life expectancy as they do today. With this vision in mind, turn towards solutions — what works now, and why? — and how to apply these insights to predict and preempt the global health problems of the future.
College Credit is available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
- Anatomic Pathology Lab — Investigate the biological properties of disease and the effect of the disease on the structure of body organs.
- Disease Outbreak Simulation — Confront a potential disease outbreak in a simulation that applies medical support with community outreach, all within the constraints of authentic economic, political, and social conditions.
- World-Class Public Health Experts — Connect with leading experts including practicing public health officials, community organizers, and global activists who are deeply involved in the global health system. Hear more about their work, the unique career pathways that exist, and gain insight into what has made them successful in their field — as well as the mistakes they’ve made along the way.
- Build Authentic Response — Work in teams with authentic stakeholders to confront a global public health issue. Evaluate real data to generate an approach backed by medical evidence, and develop a strategy for implementing your solution.
- Session 3: July 24 – August 5, 2022
- EXPLO Pre-College + Career students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact our Admissions Team at 781.762.7400 for more information on rentals.