EXPLO Pre-College | Wellesley College Medical Rotations
Work side-by-side with medical professionals to explore medical specialties and have an opportunity to train in a state-of-the-art medical simulation center.
About this Concentration
Under the guidance of medical experts, look through the lens of a third-year med school student and gain clinical skills — all while wrestling with case studies and simulated patient encounters. Rotate through specialties like internal medicine, oncology, pediatrics, emergency medicine, obstetrics, and surgery. Receive updates on patients during rounds and determine the best course of treatment by monitoring vital signs, reviewing patient charts, and navigating electronic health records. Enhance your decision-making capabilities, and learn essential leadership and teamwork skills as your group responds to a simulated drop in your patient’s vitals, all while answering rapid-fire questions from doctors and the interprofessional team. Learn the importance of avoiding snap judgments, contending with uncertainty, communicating effectively and humanely, and working as an effective team to deliver quality care to your patients.
In EXPLO Medical Rotations, get access to clinical training experiences that are usually reserved only for professionals and medical students, network with doctors in a variety of medical careers and practice in a state-of-the-art medical simulation lab, and begin to see the world differently while you glean the foundational skills that medical doctors must use each day.
Note: there is an additional $200 fee associated with this concentration.
College credit is available through Sarah Lawrence College. Learn more.
- Sim Lab Training — Participate in case-based simulation training with high fidelity mannequins at a medical simulation center that regularly trains medical professionals with this high degree of realism.
- Patient Rounds + Hands-on Clinical Training — Create sample records using medical SOAP notes and plan the next steps in patient care. Practice measuring vital signs, reading pathology reports, and basic techniques, such as suturing and surgical knot-tying.
- Current Issues + Emerging Technology — Explore current questions in the field of medicine and complex issues facing doctors, researchers, and allied health professionals every day. Get up close with some of the newest technology used in patient care, such as the da Vinci Surgical System.
- Medical School Admissions — Hear from pre-medical and medical school admissions professionals on how to prepare to apply to medical programs — and even get the chance to participate in mock admission interviews.
- Session 1: June 25 - July 14
- Session 2: July 16 - August 4
- EXPLO Pre-College students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact our Admissions Team at 781.762.7400 for more information on rentals.