About this Focus
As a Medical Rounds student, work with medical professionals from top hospitals, practices, and simulation labs to develop medical skills — from suturing and intubation to starting an IV and reading an X-ray. Ask questions, get advice, and make connections that can help you visualize future career paths in medicine. Step into the life of a medical doctor or nurse and make rounds through different specialties from internal medicine to surgery. Begin with a thorough exploration of different body systems and learn how to take a patient’s history, recording signs and symptoms as you go. Interpret X-ray images, identify healthy and unhealthy tissue samples, and review lab tests and blood work to check for abnormalities. Hear from medical professionals in hospitals and practice skills like intubation, suturing, and placing a central line in state-of-the-art simulation labs. Finally, solve a series of progressively challenging case studies for a range of patients and symptoms, thinking quickly and analytically to diagnose and treat each patient.
- Anatomy + Dissection — Explore major body systems through a pig dissection. Discover how the organs and skeletal structure relate to the human body, uncovering a world of medical terminology.
- Diagnostic Tests — Review and interpret diagnostic tests, from MRI images to hemoglobin counts in blood. Identify healthy and unhealthy tissue under the microscope and use the results of these tests to suggest a diagnosis.
- Medical Simulation Labs — Visit state-of-the-art medical simulation labs to hone your medical skills. Receive real-time feedback from doctors and nurses while placing IVs, scrubbing into surgery, or responding to a patient in cardiac arrest.
- Case Studies — Assess a variety of patient case studies, order imaging and lab tests, and review symptoms and test results to make a final diagnosis for your patient. Analyze the most common symptoms — and those that still stump doctors — to deepen your medical understanding and diagnostic abilities.
- Session 2: July 17 – July 29, 2022
- EXPLO Focus students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact the Admission Team for more information.