EXPLO Pre-College + Career | Wellesley College Orthopedics + Sports Medicine
Together with orthopedic practitioners and experts, explore modern approaches to surgeries and rehabilitation that are transforming the way we treat the human body.
About this Concentration
New in 2022: Investigate the unprecedented advancements in medical treatment techniques that have dramatically elongated the human lifespan, and improved outcomes and quality of life for all patients. The field of orthopedics plays a key role in bringing about this new future.
In Orthopedics + Sports Medicine, examine anatomy and physiology through simulations and hands-on activities to gain a deeper understanding of the musculoskeletal system as well as the injuries, diseases, and conditions that impact this system. Together with orthopedic practitioners and experts, explore modern approaches to surgeries and rehabilitation that are transforming the way we treat the human body. If humanity is to realize the improved length and quality of life made possible by these advances in medical technology, the field of orthopedics will be at the center of it — and must accelerate the changes already underway. Discover and scrutinize the boldest new ideas in the field — and receive an invitation to imagine its future direction.
College credit is pending. Learn more.
Sim Lab Training — Participate in case-based simulation training at a medical simulation center that regularly trains medical professionals. Specialties include emergency medicine, orthopedic and arthroscopic surgeries, and prosthetics.
- Rehabilitation Techniques — Visit with a physical therapist to design a treatment plan for a potential patient and explore modern therapies and prevention techniques.
- Pre-Med and Medical School Admissions — Hear from pre-medical and medical school admissions professionals and get advice on applying to medical programs.
- Orthopedic Research Lab — Visit with an orthopedic research lab and conduct a strength test of a broken bone, apply a 3D printed implant, and retest the strength of the surgically repaired bone — all with the support of a full research lab.
- Session 2: July 10 – July 22, 2022
- Session 3: July 24 – August 5, 2022
- EXPLO Pre-College + Career students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact the Admission Team for more information.