EXPLO Pre-College | Wellesley College Psychology + Neuroscience
Dissect a brain, diagnose mental illness in patients and analyze neurochemical reactions to connect how brain structures and biology deeply impact the way that humans think and behave
About this Concentration
Psychology seeks to understand behavior and develop models of cognitive and physiological processes. Neuroscience goes a step further and seeks to answer the questions: How does the brain give rise to the mind? What is the biological basis for emotions and reactions? How are mental illnesses related to differences and changes in brain functionality? In this Concentration, explore the interactions between psychology and neuroscience in an attempt to understand and unlock the mysteries of the human brain. Explore a range of disciplines within the field of psychology and learn how to apply different therapeutic theories to diagnostics and clinical treatment of mental illnesses. An introduction to behavioral neuroscience explores the presumed biological bases for such illnesses — as well as the relationship between brain activity and a person’s subjective experience, principles governing neuronal activity, and neurotransmitter systems in memory, motivation, and addiction.
In EXPLO Psychology + Neuroscience, explore the tools used by psychologists for diagnosis, analyze nervous system anatomy and functionality through labs measuring muscle action potential, and learn from leading experts on the role of psychology in the interrogation of criminal suspects.
Note: there is an additional $200 fee associated with this concentration.
- Brain Dissection — Dissect a sheep’s brain in a session led by a neuroscientist and conduct a neurochemistry procedure to examine the impact medication can have on the brain.
- Conduct Research + Present — Complete an original research project and present your findings in our end-of-session Brain Summit Symposium, attended by industry professionals and academics. Receive feedback from psychologists, clinicians and industry experts in fields such as clinical psychology, behavioral neuroscience, or organizational psychology.
- Neuroimaging Technology — Get hands-on experience with the latest neuroimaging technology. Interpret EEG readings, discuss how scans are being used in determining treatment protocols, and learn about other applications of these technologies in research and patient treatment.
- Network with Professionals — Connect with professionals in a range of careers that utilize a background in psychology and neuroscience and learn about careers, research and academic opportunities.
- Session 1: June 25 - July 14
- Session 2: July 16 - August 4
- EXPLO Pre-College students are required to bring a laptop, computer, tablet, or Chromebook to the program. All devices must be able to access the Internet and utilize basic word processing and presentation-type programs (PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.) Rentals are available after enrollment in the program. Please contact our Admissions Team at 781.762.7400 for more information on rentals.
- Required Reading Prior to the Start of the Program:
7 ½ Lessons About the Brain by Lisa Feldman Barrett (2020)
Dr. Lisa Feldman Barrett is among the top one percent most-cited scientists in the world for her research. Prior to arriving on campus, students should have read Dr. Barrett’s. EXPLO is in talks with Dr. Feldman Barrett to join us in 2023 as a guest instructor.