A golden gateway to discovery and adventure
Get ready for a two-week pre-college experience where you’ll dive into your area of interest with real projects—and get opportunities to step out of the classroom and into an industry or research setting. Explorations help you take advantage of unique experts and resources in Berkeley, the wider Bay Area, and Silicon Valley.
Pick your passion
At the University of California, Berkeley, we offer two areas of focus. See how inspired students, faculty, and professionals in these fields tackle real-world questions in an energizing, high-tech capital.
- Session 1
- Residential: June 30 – July 13
Commuter: July 1 – July 12
- Session 2
- Residential: July 14 – July 27
Commuter: July 15 – July 26
University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
- Staff to Student Ratio 1:6
Tuition + Financial Aid
What's an Exploration Like?
- Uncover professional possibilities within each area of study that you may never have even considered, and learn how they intersect with one another and with the innovation environment of the Bay Area.
- Learn from passionate and accomplished instructors who are experts in their fields and work in the academic, entrepreneurial, and technological powerhouses surrounding San Francisco.
- Strengthen your college applications with a written performance evaluation from your instructor commenting on your work, contributions, and areas of strength.
- Explore your area of study, the Berkeley campus, and the Bay Area with a tight-knit group of your fellow EXPLO students.
- Enjoy a range of memorable trips and activities, from things like game nights and sunset hikes to a visit to San Francisco’s world-famous Golden Gate Park, Fisherman’s Wharf, or Chinatown.
A world of possibilities
In Explorations at Berkeley, you’ll see just how many academic disciplines and professional careers connect to your area of interest. Learn not only how far, but in how many directions you can go in criminal investigations, psychology, and neuroscience.
Learn in beautiful + bustling Berkeley
Experience life at one of the world’s most prestigious research universities, ranked number one in Top Public Schools by US News & World Report. The University of California, Berkeley, sits between the Berkeley Hills and San Francisco Bay, a unique and stunning locale for two unforgettable weeks of discovery, new friends, and fun.
Explore a west-coast collegiate future
Tour UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University, and Stanford University around the Bay Area and get a firsthand look at your collegiate options in this world-leading center for start-ups, new ideas, and high-tech advancements. Plus, get expert advice on the University of California application process with workshops, essay writing tips, and college interview skills.